George Goulding, Dealer and Music Publisher, took several partners from 1785 until about 1834, when the firm's name was changed to D'Almaine & Co, under which label it continued until 1866. The combination Goulding D'Almaine & Co ran from 1823 until 1834, and this piano dates from the middle of that period.
This handsome piano is in a mahogany case with a rosewood nameboard. There are a few minor veneer scuffs, and the lid has the usual badge of honour where somebody has placed a vase of flowers.
It has been carefully restored at some time, and the hammers and dampers are very tidy.
It has a very interesting three-section bridge: the change in length from the bass section to the main bridge gives a more even tension between the brass and iron strings, while the discontinuity in the treble maintains the speaking-length progression from the main section to the separate treble action.
The soundboard and bridge look very good indeed. This piano is in Shrewsbury; the price is £400.
Please contact Miranda Clarke firstname.lastname@example.org